The Maze Runner - A Review

By Unknown - 13:49

The other day, I went to go and see The Maze Runner at my local cinema, and oh my god, was I in for a treat. After only seeing the trailer a couple of times before going and seeing it, I had a vague idea what the film was going to be about, the same amount as many of the other cinema-goers. Yet, due to my friends (the ones I went to see the film with) having read the book, I had a lot less insight into the story and what was going to happen in it than they did. I must say, despite not reading he book beforehand, I sincerely enjoyed the film, and was hooked throughout, understanding everything within it (unlike some films, which expect the viewers to have read the book beforehand, and as a consequence miss some important parts out).

With only the advert for the film and recommendations to go and see the film and read the book, I did not know how much of a treat I was in for. I witnessed a story of companionship, curiosity and adaptation, in relation to the conditions that all the characters had been thrust into. I was grateful that I had not experienced the story through reading it prior to the film, as it made the experience more enjoyable and captivating due to the suspense and the oblivion of what was to come next.
The film starts with a young adult called Thomas being thrust into unknown territory through a lift mechanism, with no memories to recall how he got in this situation or anything that happened prior to the lift. Thomas is left vulnerable to those who greet him at the top of the lift shaft, where they open up the cage lid, and tower above him, eventually pulling him out and then standing over him yet again. After expressing his emotions and showing his confusion to the group, he eventually starts settling into like in The Glade, where everybody has their role, and their role is never changed.
Sustaining life is relatively easy within The Glade, which is made apparent to the audience through how they are provided with supplies necessary to grow crops, drink water, and live a generally happy life within the 4 walls they are contained by. However, there is a way to escape The Glade, known as The Maze, a series of winding pathways, leading in a multitude of directions to several exits located on the outskirts of The Maze.
However, it is not all that simple to escape.
An onslaught is out there is The Maze, ready to get whoever enters, sparing nobody. Whether it be the changing pathways or the inhabitants, there is always something in there to keep them on their toes, whether they like it or not.
This truly amazing film follows the existence of Thomas within The Glade and his relationships with not only his fellow Gladers, but The Maze itself. I would highly recommend this film to anybody who likes a film full of suspense, where life and death is represented literally, showing the fragility of people, and how lives can be saved or lost through teamwork and determination. The film was so enthralling that I intend to read the book (and the rest of the series) in the near future.

Megan x 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments