"Bry" Album Review

By Unknown - 10:00

On 11th November 2016, Bry (Brian O'Reilly) released his new self-titled album off the back of touring with Twenty One Pilots as their support act. The ten track album contains a mix of previously released songs, both from previous EP's and uploads onto his YouTube channel, and brand new songs.


Disarm

With a strong pounding beat behind the melody, it is a very driving, powerful song. It's a great song to start the album off with because it grabs the attention with the opening drum beats, then charms its way into your mind with a nice main melody.

♫ i never worshiped a god, but you were close enough 

Hope You're Listening

This is probably one of my favourite songs on the album. The words really speak to me and I love the cute yet simple melody that carries the song on. It's very easily memorable and I think it's the first song that I learnt all the words to (of all the songs that hadn't been released before the album anyway).

i could have stopped you on the street and embraced you as a friend with a part of me still aching to show you your mistakes again 

Care

I remember falling for this song when Bry released it with a music video on his YouTube channel. The sound of Candice harmonising in the original hooked me on the song, and it was a little bit of a shame that she wasn't in the song on the album. Saying that I still love the song just as much now, and I love the way he has changed a few of the notes - a little surprising for the first listen, but I truly like this version as much as the first release now.

♫ oh i just want to make you happy 

Everything

This definitely has a really nice indie rock vibe to it. The tune of the chorus has well and truly embedded itself into my head. I can imagine this being played at a large concert arena full of songs singing back the lyrics, because it sounds really anthemic, and the lyrics are easy, simple and repetitive (as the chorus gets repeated a few times in the song) and it would be easy to do a call and response singing with an audience.

♫ you have been everything to someone like me 

Your Life Over Mine

Again, the lyrics of this really hit home with me. I also had this song on repeat on YouTube when he released it on his channel in 2012. It's nice to see that he has revived some of his old songs and recorded them for this album to breathe a new lease of life into them.

♫ take another step, take another step back, don't leave 

Adventure Time

The first time I ever heard this song, I'm not going to lie to you, I sobbed so much. The use of acoustics and piano, tied with the affectionate yet sad lyrics make it the absolute perfect song for when you're feeling down and want to wallow a bit (c'mon we all do it). Also, the video with Hazel Hayes was so moving, I just love it so much. I'm so glad this song is on the album, because I forgot how much I truly used to love it.

♫ oh i fell in love with life but only when i met you, yeah only right there and then, so lets be what we could have been, oh you could be most anything but all i wanted was a friend 

You're Alright

What a perfect follow up to a sad song, a pick me up, up-beat song. When I heard it on the album, I completely forgot that it wasn't a new song (and it had previously been a duet with Dodie) because I don't think this song got the recognition that his other songs have. Again, it is back to the indie rock vibe, unlike the original which had more of an indie-folk/acoustic vibe to me. I love love love both versions of the song though. I can't stop singing the chorus of this song, it's just so catchy. The new music video for this is also top notch, I'd highly recommend the watch.

♫ if i'd a way with words, i'd write away the hurt 

Fall In Place

Back to the slow, piano-backed, sad songs, but I adore this type of song. It's just so emotive, and I relate so much to the lyrics and the emotion being carried in his voice during some words. It just sounds really gorgeous and I really want to learn to play it on keyboard at some point (goal for the christmas holidays I guess)

♫ we wont settle but our names will 

Dont Go Alone

If I am correct, I think this is the main single of the album, and I can definitely see why. It's such a powerful catchy song that I cant see anyone disliking. I got so hyped when this came out because it had been a while since I had heard any new music from Bry and I missed the sound of his music, because it is just something else sound wise to me.

♫ don't go alone, i cant lose you 

Pieces

Another slow song, kind of ethereal sounding to me at times. It's a really nice way to end off the album, as even though it has sad lyrics, it's fairly upbeat and sounds really cute melodically. Again, this is one of my favourite songs on the album - I especially like the harmonised "ahhhhh" section of the song because it just makes the song feel right and rounded, making sure there is no huge empty gaps of no singing. It's just a really sweet sounding song

♫ i cant lie around 'cause self pity is bound to get me nowhere and that's not where i'll find you 


Tickets are currently on sale for his UK tour; hopefully I'll be able to go to one of them! I absolutely adore this album. I'm hooked on the songs and cannot stop listening to them on repeat if you cannot already tell by the way I have been describing each of the songs.

Thanks for reading

Meg x

(It's been nice getting back into writing for fun. I've been feeling so creative recently and have had nowhere to release this creativity, besides writing half-formed ideas, conscious streams of thought and letters that will never be sent. I've got a lot of time off over Christmas, so hopefully I can continue being creative and make loads of content to be proud of.)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments